Saturday, December 3, 2011

Han Court Chinese Restaurant



In the Woody Allen movie 'Midnight in Paris' the dissatisfied star of the movie, Owen Wilson, time travels back to the 1920s. Well it happened to me in Avalon last night. I stepped through the front door of the Han Court and I was back in the 1970s, wall mural, plastic flowers and faded lengthy menu. The elderly waiter, who was probably serving here in the 1970s, reeked of cigarette smoke, momentarily reminding me of the halcyon days when people would light up all around you.


Then all of a sudden I was transported back to the now, a pleasant young waitress arrived with 2 sizzling larges cast plates of tasty fare. A blue esky of boiled rice was placed between them and we tucked in making a complete mess of the yellow tablecloth. The food was good, although the Chicken with walnuts was better than the Mongolian Lamb. Actually I was pleasantly surprised, not sure if it was because my expectations were low.

Cost $36 for 2
Rating: Ford Falcon

2 comments:

  1. Interesting concept in your blog! I like it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which reminds me: I need to go see that film again. I liked it a lot. Even with Owen Wilson as the lead ... what a scruffy mumber he is.

    ReplyDelete